Overweight people are ready to try all ways to help lose weight. Diets and workouts require effort to be made, not everyone who is losing weight can handle it. Then they start taking various dietary supplements and vitamin-like substances, which are sold in large quantities in pharmacies and sporting goods stores. One such drug is lipoic acid. What it is, how to take it, and whether it contributes to weight loss will be discussed below.
What is Lipoic Acid?
Lipoic acid has many names: lipoic acid, thioctocide, vitamin N, lipoate, ALA. It is considered a vitamin-like substance with antioxidant properties. Lipoic acid is produced by the body, but in small quantities.
Its deficit consists of the use of the following foods: mushrooms, dairy products, leafy vegetables, beef, legumes, bananas. To maintain a supply of thioctocide in the body, it must be absorbed in large quantities. It is more expedient to use acid in the form of a pharmaceutical additive produced in the form of tablets, capsules and solutions for injection.
What is needed
The body actively produces lipoic acid until around 30 years of age. Women older than this age may have a deficiency of this substance, they begin to appear overweight. The use of thioctocide will preserve a woman's beauty and youth for a long time, slowing the aging process. Lipoic acid has the following effects on the body:
- Participates in the supply of energy to the body - initiates the reworking of its depleted sources. Therefore, all the nutrients in the food are processed as efficiently as possible.
- Forces the body to use glucose for energy, thereby helping to lower blood sugar levels.
- Ensures the proper functioning of pancreatic acid. Due to the fact that insulin spikes do not occur, the process of processing other energy sources, for example, fats, is activated.
- It prevents premature aging of the body by binding and removing free radicals.
- Normalizes the immune system.
Note!Before using lipoate, you need to make sure it is compatible with other medications you are using.
How it helps you lose weight
The original use of lipoic acid was to protect and restore liver cells from poisoning with various substances (including alcohol). They later started using it to build muscle mass. Currently, thioctocid is also used as a means of losing weight.
When lipoic acid enters the body, processes are initiated that normalize metabolism. It directly affects the expense and removal of fat stores. A normal metabolism serves as the creator of a slim figure. The benefits of ALA for weight loss are as follows:
- the stabilization of sugar following its intake allows you to maintain control over the amount of food consumed;
- by stimulating the breakdown of fat, lipoic acid for weight loss clears the body of fat deposits;
- full absorption of nutrients helps improve skin color, prevent brittleness of hair and nails;
- decreases the feeling of hunger, which is blocked for a long time without harm to the body;
- mental and physical activity improves;
- all organs begin to function more efficiently.
You need to know that there are contraindications for the use of lipoic acid, it should not be taken with the following ailments:
- cardiac arrest;
- chronic kidney disease;
- dysfunction of the thyroid gland (hypothyroidism);
- inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract;
- hypersensitivity to the components of the drug;
- individual intolerance.
Cinnamon and vanilla are used as impurities in some food supplements. Thanks to these substances, the drug is very popular among women. After taking a course, they notice a decrease in the craving for sweets, a decrease in weight.
Important!Before using lipoic acid for weight loss, you should consult a doctor: endocrinologist, therapist or nutritionist.
According to the reviews of those who take this drug, they began to feel better, there was a desire to lead an active lifestyle. After the therapy, many improved blood values changed their appearance: acne and inflammation disappeared from the face. Note that weight loss occurred only in conjunction with the normalization of nutrition and exercise in the gym.
How to drink?
In order not to harm the body, you need to know how to properly drink lipoic acid to lose weight. Exceeding the dosage can lead to health problems. Lipoate has a high chemical activity, reacts with many substances, therefore, before taking it, you need to carefully study the instructions for use.
It should be selected, focusing on the person's dietary addictions, intensity of physical activity, as well as general health status. General rules for the use of thioctocide:
- under satisfactory conditions, the dose as prophylaxis is 25-50 mg per day;
- elderly - 50 mg per day;
- athletes - from 75 to 200 mg;
- for the treatment of diseases - up to 600 mg;
- women who lose weight - a minimum dosage of 30-50 mg; for men - 50-75 mg per day (divided into 3 doses).
With the introduction of acid intramuscularly, the portion should not exceed 50 mg per day. Although some sources indicate that positive results can only be achieved with a daily intake of 100-200 mg, it is still necessary to start treatment with small doses. A dosage higher than 600 mg per day without physical activity can drastically worsen the state of health.
Note!Lipoic acid for weight loss is only effective if you are following a diet, strength training in the gym and physical activity.
How many days can you drink?
For the general improvement of the body, thioctocide is taken 2-3 weeks several times a year. For weight loss, a longer intake is required, according to the following scheme: 1 month of intake, then a break is made for 1-2 months, then the course is repeated and so on. By combining the intake of the drug with a balanced diet and physical activity, you can lose 4-6 kg per month.
- Lipoic acid is injected in the morning and in the evening.
- In order not to experience discomfort in the gastrointestinal tract, use the drug after meals.
- Thioctocid inhibits calcium absorption, so lactic acid products are consumed 4 hours after taking.
- Alcohol blocks the absorption of lipoic acid, moreover, if taken at the same time, dizziness and nausea may appear.
- The drug is taken no earlier than 30 minutes after strength training.
- Before taking thioctocide, it is necessary to find out if it is compatible with other drugs used.
The effect of the slimming procedure will be only if you follow a diet and train in the gym. Protein foods are best right now. If there are fewer carbohydrates, the body begins to consume the available reserves and the weight decreases. When consuming confectionery, pasta, cereals, lipoic acid will be used to process the sugars received without affecting the fats.
The dosage must be prescribed by the doctor, it is impossible to independently change it upwards. Much still doesn't mean good. Overdose can be dangerous to health: lead to convulsions, bleeding disorders. Due to a sharp drop in blood sugar, there is a possibility of hypoglycemic coma; low levels of hormones produced can cause thyroid disease (hypothyroidism).
As a treatment, vomiting is induced, gastric lavage is used, activated charcoal is prescribed. But even these manipulations can be useless, since there is no antidote. Therefore, before use, you should carefully read the instructions and avoid overdose.
Lipoic acid is generally well tolerated, but the following unpleasant symptoms can sometimes occur:
- stomach ache;
- an allergic reaction in the form of a rash;
- increased pressure;
- nausea and vomit;
- metallic taste in the mouth.
When these symptoms appear, the drug should be stopped immediately.
Important!At the time of taking lipoic acid, it is necessary to stop drinking alcohol, as it slows down its absorption.
Using lipoic acid is not a panacea for losing extra pounds, but by working in conjunction with diet and exercise, it can help you lose weight. In addition, it normalizes metabolic processes in the body, prevents aging.